Wednesday, May 27, 2009

CT Forum Family Reflects on Judge Sonia Sotomayor


Judge Sotomayor is a highly qualified and historic nominee who would bring extensive legal experience and a unique perspective to the Court. Senator Chris Dodd

I suspect her Catholicism may come in for a theocon inquisition. I don't like her affirmative action views, but I've always taken the view that a president gets wide lee-way in this kind of appointment. I see no good reason to oppose her - and some real perils for the GOP if they beat up on a brilliant and self-made Latina on SCOTUS. They must know the country they purport to want to govern. Andrew Sullivan

If confirmed, Sotomayor will be the third Yale law grad on the Supreme Court. The other two: Thomas and Alito. Arianna Huffington

Now that President Obama has wisely chosen Judge Sotomayor as his first nominee to the Supreme Court, I suppose I should let the cat out of the bag: I have been rooting for her all along. Not only because I know her, but because everything I know about her suggests that she will be a fantastic justice. Stephen L Carter

I want to congratulate Judge Sotomayor on her history-making nomination to the Supreme Court. Confirming a Supreme Court Justice is among the most important responsibilities the Senate has, and I take that responsibility very seriously. I look forward to joining my colleagues as we examine Judge Sotomayor’s qualifications carefully before confirmation. However, it is already clear that President Obama has chosen a remarkable jurist with an impressive record of accomplishment and a life story with which working families can identify. Senator-Elect Al Franken

"White man racist nominee would be forced to withdraw. Latina woman racist should also withdraw..." Newt Gingrich

"Experience is everything. You want richness and diversity on the Supreme Court," Carville said. "She has a life experience she brings." James Carville

Como una latina joven, yo siento increiblemente orgullosa. Este nominancion refuerza el hecho de que nosotros estamos en una era nueva de cambio en este pais. El juez Sotomayor es una mujer de calidad y sustancia que fija un ejemplo perfecto para la gente joven por todas personas- pero especialmente para latinas. Ella es un ejemplo perfecto de alguien que vino nada y hecho en algo. Ella es un recuerdo a mi que el cielo es el limito.

How do I feel about the nomination of the first Latina U.S. Supreme Court Justice by the first African American president? As a young Latina, I feel incredibly proud. This nomination reinforces the fact that we're in a new era of change in this country. Judge Sotomayor is a woman of quality and substance who sets a perfect example for young people everywhere - but especially for Latinas. She's a perfect example of someone who came from nothing and made herself into something. She's a reminder to me that the sky's the limit. Jasmine Lopez, Age 21, CT YOUTH Forum Program Associate


No comments: