Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dessert anyone?

By Pat Rossiter, YOUTH Forum Program Manager & Pastry Connoisseur

I have cake on my mind!

Duff Goldman the Ace of Cakes is coming in May.

A friend of mine has been talking about her wedding.

And...


I happen to live in New Haven where Italian pastries flow like milk and honey. Or at least are made with milk and honey and flow.

Here are two thoughts that are inducing salivation at the moment:

Libby's!


OK, I know they have some sort of cake there and God help me I have gone there with the best of intentions of "trying something new," but truth be told, I have never had anything there but cannolis. I mean, why mess with perfection? Oh, and don't give me any of the crazy cannolis with the flavorings and funny colors. That stuff is for children or the misinformed or for misinformed children. Give me a straight up ricotta, freshly filled, plain old cannolis. ...gotta stop, I'm feeling woozy.

Next, there are times when genius meets inspiration meets desire. When that truly sublime moment happens, you get this:

The Cupcake Truck!



Does this need explanation? A truck drives around selling cupcakes. OK, not just cupcakes, but miniature representations of the divine frosted with sin. I mean just typing "Sweet Potato Pecan Cupcake," makes me feel dirty in ALL the right ways. If I were still Catholic, I'd eat them in a confessional booth.

OK, after all that, I need a snack. A handful of almonds I guess (sigh). Almonds would be so good on top of a Hummingbird Cupcake with a cannoli for garnish.




No comments: